Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ewa Agoyin



Hi! It's been ages since my last post...I was on a very looong break for a couple of months, but now I'm back with more tried and tested recipes to share with you  :)

Today, I'm going to share a recipe that I learnt online a few months ago; I tried it out a couple of times (and didn't just get it right), until I recently finally perfected it.

Ingredients:
(Serves 4)


  • 3 cups of brown Beans
  • Water
  • 1 small onion, sliced (optional)
  • Salt to taste
       Sauce:
  • 10 cooking spoons of Palm Oil
  • 3 chili pepper (ata rodo)
  • 2 table spoons of dry ground pepper
  • 1 Onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove of fresh Ginger, peeled
  • Stock cubes (knorr or maggi cubes)
  • Salt to taste


Method:
(Approx. preparation time: 90mins)



  1. Wash the beans, and then add it to a pot of boiling water.
  2. Add the sliced onions and a little salt
  3. Cover the pot. Allow to cook and add more water if needed until the beans is soft (this should take about 45mins to 1hr, so you can start preparing the sauce while it cooks)
  4. When the beans is soft and dry, reduce the heat and then use a wooden spoon to mash the beans gently for a few seconds. Set aside.
Sauce:
  1. Blend the ginger and fresh pepper together
  2. Heat up the palm oil in a pot, and then add the chopped onions and allow to fry for 30 seconds
  3. Add the blended ginger and pepper. Allow to fry for another 30 seconds
  4. Add the dry pepper, stock cubes, and salt to taste
  5. Reduce the heat, and stir continuously until the mixture turns dark brown.
NOTE: Be careful not to allow it char, or the sauce will lose Its' color and may even taste burnt!


Serve the beans with it's sauce. You can serve ewa agoyin with bread, pap or, boiled/fried yam/plantain.



Claim Token: D6FKD76998YF

11 comments:

  1. Will definitely be trying out your recipe thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. i hope you have tried it out already? :)

      Delete
  2. I have been looking for the recipe for long. The picture in your post looks about right. I am trying it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much this is the best recipes ever xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thanks for the visit :)

      Delete
  4. i tried cooking the beans sauce using your recipe. it tastes very nice but it is very peppery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the pepper you used may have been the really 'hot' type. You can always adjust the quantity of pepper to suit your taste next time...I'm glad you still enjoyed it though :) .Thanks so much for the response.

      Delete
  5. Don't you have to soak the beans,and can you use black eye pea?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, you don't have to soak the beans before cooking. I don't think black eye peas would work. Although, you could still give it a try. It may just turn out nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lola, if you know how nostalgic I am agoyin...I try my best but have to make do with the normal palm oil mixed beans but this is way to go! I'll tell you about it once it is operationalised!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say?

ebook reader reviews